- 16 chicken drumsticks (about 4 pounds), skinned, if desired
- 116 ounce bottle buffalo wing hot sauce (2 cups)
- 1/4cup tomato paste
- 2tablespoons white or cider vinegar
- 2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 18 ounce carton dairy sour cream
- 1/2cup mayonnaise
- 1/2cup crumbled blue cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/4 – 1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper or bottled hot pepper sauce
- Celery sticks
- Place drumsticks in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine hot sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over chicken in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, blue cheese, and cayenne pepper. Reserve half of the blue cheese dip (3/4 cup); store as directed below. Cover and chill the remaining dip until ready to serve.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove drumsticks from cooker. Skim fat from cooking juices. Reserve eight of the drumsticks and 1 cup of the cooking juices; store as directed below. Serve remaining drumsticks with some of the remaining cooking juices, the remaining blue cheese dip, and celery sticks. Makes 4 servings and reserves.
From the Test Kitchen
TO STORE RESERVES:
Place blue cheese dip in an airtight container. Remove skin and meat from drumsticks, discarding bones. Using two forks, shred chicken (2-1/2 to 3 cups). Place shredded chicken and the 1 cup cooking juices in a second airtight container. Seal and chill for up to 3 days.