The Quik Cook! continues with national cuisine favorites from around the world from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe! Today’s port-of-call: The Bahamas for delicious Crack Conch Fritters with Peas & Rice!
Crack Conch Fritters with Peas & Rice
(Deep Fried Battered Crayfish with Red Beans & Rice)
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 mins /Serves: 4-6
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
1 lb. conch (or crayfish)
1 lb. prepared tempura batter
For the Tempura batter: 2-4 cups water
1 lb. flour
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 fresh thyme 1 egg (beaten)
For Bahamian Peas and Rice
1 cap pigeon peas
1 1/2 cups of rice
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 small ripe tomato, chopped
2 slices bacon or salt pork diced
2 tsp fresh thyme
- Use lime and water is to clean the conch and cut the fresh fish smell.
- Tenderize conch by pounding it with a mallet.
- Cut conch into thumb-sized pieces then pour the tempura batter over the conch to cover each piece.
- Deep fry at 350-375 F until golden brown.
Tempura batter Preparation:
- Mix the flour, beaten egg, seasonings and water into a pasty batter.
- Add the water slowly since the batter should be of a paste like consistency.
Peas & Rice Preparation:
- Fry bacon or salt pork in a large pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the onion, pepper, tomato, tomato paste and thyme, then add the peas, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 3 cups of water to the mix and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Serve hot with a lime wedge.
Next stop: Cambodia…