Real-estate billionaire Donald Trump has withdrawn his $5 million lawsuit against Bill Maher, the liberal comedian host of HBO’s “Real Time” — for now anyway.
“The lawsuit was temporarily withdrawn to be amended and refiled at a later date,” Michael Cohen, a lawyer for Trump, told TMZ.
The suit centered on a $5 million bet between the two celebrities. In January, Maher said he’d pay that amount in cash to charities of Trump’s choice if the Donald released a birth certificate proving he’s not the “spawn of his mother having sex with an orangutan.” Maher was playing on Trump’s challenge of President Barack Obama’s birth certificate.
Trump indeed released his own certificate. But Maher refused to pay up, saying it was all a joke. Trump promised legal action and filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles in February.
Last month, Trump insisted he was ready for justice to run its course. “He made an offer, I accepted the offer,” Trump said then on ABC. “He didn’t say it was a joke [at the time]. We’re going to find out if it was a joke. The courts will tell.”
The suit was withdrawn last Friday.
NOTE: If you haven’t already heard Maher’s response to Donald Trump regarding this lawsuit, you must watch the video here.0