Politics as usual is being played in Washington and the American people are the ones suffering because of this game. This is the message given by the president in his weekly address. The president even referred to the group playing this game of politics as obstructionists. And he didn’t stumble to call by name the ones playing this game. The GOP.
The president accused the republican leadership, and rightfully so, of not “putting the public’s interest first.” He accused the GOP of wanting to score political points instead of working together with their democratic counterparts to solve the problems this country is facing and he points our in his address areas where this game is in full effect.
According to President Obama, there are a “series of critical issues that have a direct impact on people’s lives.” These are the issues the GOP is actively blocking. President Obama listed some of these issues;
- Legislation in Senate to extend unemployment to workers who’ve lost their jobs through no fault of their own. This legislation would provide relief to states to help save the jobs of thousands of teachers, cops and firefighters. The bill also has provisions to extend the tax credit for first time home buyers, as well as tax cuts to keep research and development jobs in the United States. GOP wouldn’t allow this legislation to be brought to the floor of the senate.
- Removing the $75 million Cap on Oil Companies that cause Oil Spills, disrupting the lives of Americans. GOP wouldn’t allow this cap to be removed, siding with the Oil Industry instead of protecting American’s way of life
- 136 Men and Women nominated for “key positions in the Federal Government” by the president are being blocked by republicans. According to president Obama, “all are highly qualified, very few are controversial.” The president also points out that there’s already bipartisan support for a “vast majority” these nominees. However, their nominations are ”intentionally delayed by republican leaders, or even blocked all together.” Republicans would not allow a vote on nominees they support.
Associating the GOP with Obstructionists is something the rest of America has been doing since this president took office. They have stand united against his policies, especially the ones that directly benefits the American people. Even policies that they themselves have fought for over decades, like tax breaks for businesses, they now stand united against.
We all see it. The GOP has taken their marching orders from their leader, radio commentator Rush Limbaugh, and they’re doing everything they can to make sure this president fails.
- Obama rips Republican ‘obstruction’ (americablog.com)
- Obama: GOP Making Life Harder for Unemployed (foxnews.com)
- Obama says GOP making life harder for jobless (seattletimes.nwsource.com)