The only way to move forward, is to take a few steps back.
It has become quite obvious that this bunch of GOP senators have taken Rush Limbaugh’s idea of wanting to see the President fail very seriously. They are going all out to make sure Rush get’s his wish.
We’ve seen their efforts with all the filibusters these Republicans have managed to come up with so far. From President Obama‘s nominees to his major policies, Republicans have managed to make the Filibuster their best friend in the Senate.
From the early days of the 1950′s, the practice was rearly used. However, those days are long gone and with us now, is a senate that uses politics and Rush Limbaugh’s wishes, to stop this president from instituting his policies.
So far, in the first 14 months of the Obama administration, there have been 152 cloture votes held. A cloture vote is a vote to stop debate on a bill to bring other items to the senate floor. In comparison to the 110th congress, from 2007 and 2008, there were 112 cloture votes. This senate has surpassed those years by 40 votes already.
So it wasn’t no surprise yesterday listening to Mitch McConnell talking on the floor about the Financial Reform bill being brought by the Democrats. However, when he urged his friends to vote no to the debate so that the debate could continue, I had to do a double take. Did he just say “vote to end debate to begin debate?” He did.
Specifically, McConnell talking about the Financial Reform put forth by Sen Chris Dodd’s committee, said;
We can solve this problem. But we wont solve the problem if we vote for cloture tonight. A vote for cloture is a vote that says we’re done listening to the American people on this issue. And a vote against ending this debate is a vote for bipartisanship.
Only in Mitch McConnell’s mind and that of his Republican buddies does this statement makes sense – let’s vote to stop debate, in order to have debate.
Oh these Republicans…!
- First Cloture Attempt for Wall Street Reform Fails; Ben Nelson Votes With Party Of No (mydd.com)
- See the Very Serious Republicans demand more debate! (dailykos.com)
- Reid Going Forward with Financial Reform (dailykos.com)
- Republicans Block Bank Reform Measure (politicalwire.com)
Latest posts by Ezra Grant (see all)
- Police Sargent at Ferguson Protests Seen Addressing The OathKeepers Militia – Video - August 22, 2014
- Here is Michael Brown at His High School Graduation – Video - August 21, 2014
- Gov. Duval Patrick on Recent Police Killings of Unarmed Men – “I’m Sick Of it” - August 21, 2014